Friday 27 July 2012

One Moment Please! What's for Homework today?


Are you an 'every night' parent or an 'if I've got the time' parent???

On this occasion 100% was attained
"I'm going to talk to the Teacher, I don't understand why she is behind!?" - this was a very indignant upset parent talking to me about her lovely daughter. This upset parent talked to me for about fifteen minutes whilst we were waiting for our kids - who are in the same class. I asked the upset one what their homework routine was... "Oh we don't have a routine as such, we do it when we have the time. It's not a big deal to us." 'Oh really?', I thought to myself.....

Not a big deal? Homework? Since when exactly? Since the invention of the iPhone? Since the invention of Digital Television? Since games on the iPad took precedence???? When!?

It's my personal belief that homework is essential to cementing and furthering the knowledge learned in the classroom - no matter what it is. It's important to know what your child is learning, so you can adapt and respond to their learning environment. For example, my Only Child's class were studying astronomy - now they are six years old, so they weren't doing physics equations just yet.... but it was important to know, so that we could chat to her at home about the universe, and planets, and how I hoped she would be an Astronaut one day... hey, homework's a good time for lots of things!

Random Amethyst next to spelling... we like it like that.
Homework is a time to help and support your child through what can be a pretty grueling place at times - Primary School, and then High School.... Homework can be fun, and it can be surprisingly peaceful. Of course, on trying days, it is hard work - and there is no immediate 'payment' for a parent's work when it comes to homework - except the knowledge of time and love you have invested in your child. 

But back to the upset parent... I let the upset one know that my Only Child at times has struggled, but that is when homework is most essential! That is the time where Mum and Dad must pull together to push through the tough times with their child. For example, my Only Child was having trouble at some point with a certain reading level - she just wasn't pushing through. I noticed a lack of effort and enthusiasm for reading, and I didn't like it - that's not acceptable in our house. If you must fail, you fail trying, not by quitting

But you see, what I had also noticed was that I had become a little lax with our homework routine. I am an 'every night' at 4.15pm type of Mum, but I had become a little lax on that routine. So! Mum and Dad both put our blinkers back on and focused on our homework routine again, and after a couple of weeks.... voila! The Only Child had pushed through her reading levels, to the point where she is reading beyond expectation.

Homework could be... fun photography!
Some kids just need that extra educational 'kick' from their parents - my Only Child certainly does. Some children don't. But, if you are a parent of a child who does need the extra kick, then homework should be an 'every night' thing - no excuses. I don't care who you are or what you do, your child's educational chances should be supported whatever way you can. Homework is a very simple way of giving your child a helping hand, and it doesn't cost anything except your time.

I could get very political with the whole Liberal Parenting v Conservative Parenting debate... and how that relates to homework, but I will spare readers! 

Homework is a big deal. Full stop.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Jessica. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that parents need to be more involved in their children's education.

    ReplyDelete

Tongue-in-cheek or foot-in-mouth! No experts, just Mums and Dads, and Only Children. So say something!