Wednesday 22 February 2012

I'm Hungry - Why? Wai on Waiheke Island!

Take a look at this location - Wai wouldn't you?

The Only Child enjoying a fresh juice
The Only Child and I were on Waiheke Island recently. I hadn't been to Waiheke for about five years, so didn't know what to expect in terms of food. I had heard all sorts of wonderful stories about vineyards and luxury houses - but had never been motivated to visit the island in recent years.

Well, an unexpected breakfast jaunt down to Wai has provided the excuse for regular ferry rides over to Waiheke...

When you first walk in to Wai, you are struck by the fresh and clean feeling you experience. I kept thinking, 'blue', 'white', 'aquatic bliss'. A refreshing eatery compared to the numerous Italian style restaurants we had encountered on the island. 

Look at this view? Digestive harmony awaits...
 The Only Child and I were struck by the creative options on the menu - a change from the usual Salmon Eggs Benedict, Pancakes, and big breakfast options that most cafes do. They have Churros on the starter menu - if you don't know what that is, then you need to go and find out. We loved the Banana and Ricotta hotcakes with vanilla syrup and coconut butter so much... we came back for breakfast the next day. I know I know, a bit indulgent - but 'happiness is a state of being'.

The food really was fantastic - and had such a clean pure taste. The coffee was splendid also. The views and location were a dream. What can I say? We really loved it.

During the Summer months the cafe is open "till late" (thank goodness!), other times Wai is open till 4pm. This is a good thing, as I guarantee if you have breakfast at Wai, that you will either want to come back the same day for lunch or dinner.

At this stage, Wai does not have a specific children's menu. Which is a shame, as my oh my what wonders could these menu planners come up with for kids? 

Hop on the ferry and indulge at Wai - why not?

Wai
Wai Menu


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tongue-in-cheek or foot-in-mouth! No experts, just Mums and Dads, and Only Children. So say something!